Metalnewcomers.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Facebook
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» welcometothedarkside.org
Bass - To use a pick or not to use a pick that is the question EmptyMay 25th 2015, 21:28 by tshearn

» Introductions
Bass - To use a pick or not to use a pick that is the question EmptyMay 18th 2015, 17:15 by tshearn

» Eryn Non Dae. (Toulouse)-Metal Blade Records
Bass - To use a pick or not to use a pick that is the question EmptySeptember 29th 2013, 13:17 by Franael

» How can we promote Metal newcomers.com?
Bass - To use a pick or not to use a pick that is the question EmptySeptember 20th 2013, 07:26 by TheTNTee

» Be'laktor
Bass - To use a pick or not to use a pick that is the question EmptyJuly 29th 2013, 05:28 by serbocop666

» Saille - Symphonic Black Metal - CD out now !
Bass - To use a pick or not to use a pick that is the question EmptyJune 5th 2013, 07:15 by Saille

» Haiduk - Spellbook
Bass - To use a pick or not to use a pick that is the question EmptyJune 3rd 2013, 13:19 by haiduk

» Eryn Non Dae. (France)-Metal Blade Records
Bass - To use a pick or not to use a pick that is the question EmptyApril 14th 2013, 14:37 by Franael

» Celtachor New Album "Nine Waves From The Shore"
Bass - To use a pick or not to use a pick that is the question EmptyNovember 19th 2012, 06:58 by SamhainPromotions

Top posters
Admin
Bass - To use a pick or not to use a pick that is the question EmptyBass - To use a pick or not to use a pick that is the question I_voting_barBass - To use a pick or not to use a pick that is the question Empty 
EmmaMetal
Bass - To use a pick or not to use a pick that is the question EmptyBass - To use a pick or not to use a pick that is the question I_voting_barBass - To use a pick or not to use a pick that is the question Empty 
DutchDarknessWithin
serbocop666
Masuramea
MacyMetal
tHE_Bizarre_jOKE
TheTNTee
segtuvs
Militaizi

Bass - To use a pick or not to use a pick that is the question

Go down 
+2
EmmaMetal
Feniel
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Feniel
Trve Poser
Trve Poser
Feniel

Bass - To use a pick or not to use a pick that is the question Empty
PostSubject: Bass - To use a pick or not to use a pick that is the question   Bass - To use a pick or not to use a pick that is the question EmptySeptember 15th 2010, 03:00

Well i found my self nerd raging on youtube again ( *sigh i really need a life *) on some for posting the following comment

praise be to jesus he walks, in the beggining i thought he was going for a pick and i was like god damn it fucking cant stand it, im a bassist and i refuse to use a pick the sound isnt as clean and the skill is higher withouta pick casue other wise a fucking guitarist can pick up a bass and be a great bassist no thats bullshit lets see a guitarist walk like cliff,flea,ROB ( my hero) yea i know rob uses a pick but VERY RARLEY , takes great skill to walk like a champ on a bass

now normally i wont say much but the arrogance of this comment had me raging especcialy given the song we were postiong on was written for a pick..

i responded with the following comment

then you really must not like this song cause its was written to be played with a pick come to think of it most songs dave has written use a pick and honestly you are pretty narrow minded there is alot more tones and techniques available if you both. and note to you the reason some bassists use picks is for a non clean sound, if all muscians shared your narrow mind what a boring world we would live in

also what the fuck is with the guitarist slam. fyi knowing how to use a pick and knowing how to play bass are 2 TOTALLY seperate things i can do almost any kind of picking with no more then a few minutes of practice am i a great bassist . fuck no

In my personal opinion a using a pick is just as acceptable as not .

Edit - Song was Dawn Patrol by Megadeth

do you agree or am i way off bass... heh
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=866760082
EmmaMetal
Metal God
Metal God
EmmaMetal

PostSubject: Re: Bass - To use a pick or not to use a pick that is the question   Bass - To use a pick or not to use a pick that is the question EmptySeptember 15th 2010, 05:12

I personally like playing without pick because I learned how to play wihout, but I'm not playing metal or stuff, more the pop music so that's not really fast and a pick is not necessary. I tried with pick and.. Failed.
Back to top Go down
Masuramea
Viking
Viking

PostSubject: Re: Bass - To use a pick or not to use a pick that is the question   Bass - To use a pick or not to use a pick that is the question EmptySeptember 15th 2010, 05:46

Well, personally i have no experience with a bass.
But a friend of mine who's in a band thats touring europe and soon to be in america switched from using a guitar to playing bass.

He didn't mention anything from using pick or not but did say that for recording an album in a studio its better to just use downstrokes unlike a guitar in a studio with you can use up and downstrokes.

He's quite a good musician so i believe him, but i never tested or tried this before.
Back to top Go down
Feniel
Trve Poser
Trve Poser
Feniel

PostSubject: Re: Bass - To use a pick or not to use a pick that is the question   Bass - To use a pick or not to use a pick that is the question EmptySeptember 15th 2010, 08:04

Masuramea wrote:
Well, personally i have no experience with a bass.
But a friend of mine who's in a band thats touring europe and soon to be in america switched from using a guitar to playing bass.

He didn't mention anything from using pick or not but did say that for recording an album in a studio its better to just use downstrokes unlike a guitar in a studio with you can use up and downstrokes.

He's quite a good musician so i believe him, but i never tested or tried this before.

0.o thats new to me ive never heard of that and i would love to see it in execution lol some songs are hard enough to play fast enough without alternate picking lol
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=866760082
Machine
Trve Poser
Trve Poser
Machine

PostSubject: Re: Bass - To use a pick or not to use a pick that is the question   Bass - To use a pick or not to use a pick that is the question EmptyOctober 9th 2010, 22:40

I've played bass for a very long time. Through most of them I have just used my fingers, because the material played NEVER called for 16th notes and NEVER a speed faster than 140 bpm. Now we have a guitar player and I have switched back to bass, I have a hard time playing many our new songs without a pick. Many have 16th notes and bpms from 160 to 200 bpm. I have seen bass players do it, but this is Kung Fu I do not have. So I decided to just use a pick, it is a HUGE adjustment for me, but I don't think many bass players will think any less of me (I will have to call my friend Trent who's an awsome bass player). I used to think it was fingers of nothing, then you start listening to other bass players and realize it is simply a personal choice, neither is bad.
Back to top Go down
http://www.softboxmetal.com
Admin
Metal Master
Metal Master
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bass - To use a pick or not to use a pick that is the question   Bass - To use a pick or not to use a pick that is the question EmptyOctober 10th 2010, 04:57

Well unfortunately i never had the oportunity to play bass...although i'd really like to.
So I can't tell my opinion on that, but I agree with Machine's post!
Back to top Go down
https://metalnewcomers.forumotion.com
serbocop666
Professional Headbanger
Professional Headbanger
serbocop666

PostSubject: Re: Bass - To use a pick or not to use a pick that is the question   Bass - To use a pick or not to use a pick that is the question EmptyOctober 10th 2010, 05:24

I have a bass, and i have played it a bit, but it really comes down to the difficultly of the song for me, if its too fast, then i just stick to the pick.
Back to top Go down
Machine
Trve Poser
Trve Poser
Machine

PostSubject: Re: Bass - To use a pick or not to use a pick that is the question   Bass - To use a pick or not to use a pick that is the question EmptyNovember 3rd 2010, 03:45

Another of my favorate bass players is Chris Squire from (the very not metal) prog band Yes. You may dislike the song, but check out the bass playing in Heart of the Sunrise. Considered one of the best bass players from the 70's through to the 80's. And guess what, he uses a pick. Obviously Dave Ellefson does as well and I've always thought he was pretty good as well ... Then there is Geddy Lee another bass god who plays with his fingers but I noticed a interesting technique. When playing 16th notes (like in the song Animate) he sort of strums with his finger (very much like a big pick) and he is doing more of this on the newer albums (apparently he is starting to get a bit of arthritis in his fingers).
Back to top Go down
http://www.softboxmetal.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bass - To use a pick or not to use a pick that is the question   Bass - To use a pick or not to use a pick that is the question Empty

Back to top Go down

Bass - To use a pick or not to use a pick that is the question
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Metalnewcomers.com :: Community :: Metal & the scene-
Jump to: