Metalnewcomers.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Facebook
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» welcometothedarkside.org
Battle Metal (2004) - Turisas EmptyMay 25th 2015, 21:28 by tshearn

» Introductions
Battle Metal (2004) - Turisas EmptyMay 18th 2015, 17:15 by tshearn

» Eryn Non Dae. (Toulouse)-Metal Blade Records
Battle Metal (2004) - Turisas EmptySeptember 29th 2013, 13:17 by Franael

» How can we promote Metal newcomers.com?
Battle Metal (2004) - Turisas EmptySeptember 20th 2013, 07:26 by TheTNTee

» Be'laktor
Battle Metal (2004) - Turisas EmptyJuly 29th 2013, 05:28 by serbocop666

» Saille - Symphonic Black Metal - CD out now !
Battle Metal (2004) - Turisas EmptyJune 5th 2013, 07:15 by Saille

» Haiduk - Spellbook
Battle Metal (2004) - Turisas EmptyJune 3rd 2013, 13:19 by haiduk

» Eryn Non Dae. (France)-Metal Blade Records
Battle Metal (2004) - Turisas EmptyApril 14th 2013, 14:37 by Franael

» Celtachor New Album "Nine Waves From The Shore"
Battle Metal (2004) - Turisas EmptyNovember 19th 2012, 06:58 by SamhainPromotions

Top posters
Admin
Battle Metal (2004) - Turisas EmptyBattle Metal (2004) - Turisas I_voting_barBattle Metal (2004) - Turisas Empty 
EmmaMetal
Battle Metal (2004) - Turisas EmptyBattle Metal (2004) - Turisas I_voting_barBattle Metal (2004) - Turisas Empty 
DutchDarknessWithin
serbocop666
Masuramea
MacyMetal
tHE_Bizarre_jOKE
TheTNTee
segtuvs
Militaizi

Battle Metal (2004) - Turisas

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mayhem
Poser
Poser
Mayhem

Battle Metal (2004) - Turisas Empty
PostSubject: Battle Metal (2004) - Turisas   Battle Metal (2004) - Turisas EmptySeptember 17th 2010, 15:13

Battle Metal (2004) - Turisas Turisas+-+Battle+Metal+(2004)

Album
Battle Metal
Artist
Turisas
Year
Genre
Folk/Symphonic Metal
Lyrical Themes
Vikings, The Norse

Tracklist

1) Victoriae and Triumphi Dominus
2) As Torches Rise
3) Battle Metal
4) The Land of Hope and Glory
5) The Messenger
6) One More
7) Midnight Sunrise
8) Amon Ancestors
9) Sahti-Waari
10) Prologue for R.R.R.
11) Rex Regi Rebellis
12) Katuman Kaiku

The now oh-so- ubiquitous term ‘Battle Metal’ has been thrown into the spotlight by the efforts of none other than Turisas, a band that are, amongst some arguments, seeming to be at the lead of the army of folk ‘battle’ metal bands today. The album ‘Battle Metal’ is not their latest effort- it came before 2007s The Varangian Way- but it seems to be a solid tracklist of folk metal tunes, even if it’s slightly less heavy.

The album begins with Victoriae & Triumphi Dominus, a short opening that is a cascade of nicely-composed trumpets and an orchestra of male and female vocals that lead nicely into the first full song, As Torches Rise, which isn’t a terrible song but not amazing either. An average attempt at a ‘hundreds of men lie weak, I think of my family, I’m in battle etc’ song that is still enjoyable to listen to, but not particularly mind-blowing.
Next up on the tracklist is Battle Metal, the song that gave the album and the genre its nickname. It’s an enjoyable song with lyrics that seem to be written with meaning- The heart of Turisas was forged by four winds
In a smithy high up in the skies- with a good chant of ‘BATTLE! METAL! BATTLE! BAT-TLE MET-AL!’ in the background. It’s definitely one to be enjoyed when they play it live.
The next track has a stolen name. ‘The Land of Hope and Glory’- also the name of a famous British song- is (sadly) not a cover. Much disappointment there. Hail Britannia.
Anyway, ‘The Land of Hope and Glory’ opens up by sounding like a Linkin Park song, but is then injected with a chorus of chanting male voices, which soon leads into a blasting riff on the electric guitar. It then goes into a folk metal tune of jumping tempos accompanied with the usual vocals of Warlord Nygard.
The next song, The Messenger, is not a song to particularly pay attention to EXCEPT for the first eight seconds. The violinist’s intro to this song is incredible and definitely top notch. However the rest of the song is very mediocre.
The rest of the songs on ‘Battle Metal’ are pretty similar to the rest of the album, with the exception of 'Prologue to R.R.R.', which is a sinister speech by the Warlord himself with his sexy voice and funny way of saying ‘peace’ and 'Midnight Sunrise' which seems to have a phone in the background (seriously. Am I going nuts?)

Overall Turisas’s ‘Battle Metal’ doesn’t particularly have any mind-blowing songs on it. It’s a very solid effort, however, and this along with ‘The Varangian Way’ will give you an all around view on the band.

Quality: 7.9
As Battle Metal is a theme so taken up upon nowadays, it seems that, even though Turisas were unique, this album is very generic. I don't suppose it's fair on them, but hey. Also, the use of edited vocals and PHONES is annoying.

Musicianship: 9.0
An immense effort. There is no denying that they are very talented musicians. However again, the use of generic modification knocks points off.

Writing: 8.7
A very nice array of lyrics, even if they do occasionally sound a little cliché.

Ingenuity: 9.5
High score here, Turisas, nice job. The band's mix of unusual sounds, violins, folk instruments and both harsh and soft vocals definately hit the spot.

Overall: 8.3

Not very mindblowing but still a very, very enjoyable album. Heilir, Turisas!
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/OhTheMetal
Admin
Metal Master
Metal Master
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Battle Metal (2004) - Turisas   Battle Metal (2004) - Turisas EmptySeptember 18th 2010, 06:23

WOW cool review, thanks a lot Cait!
I pretty much like Turisas, they were the very first folk metal band i've ever checked out some years ago, long before the folk metal boom.
Great Album!
Back to top Go down
https://metalnewcomers.forumotion.com
serbocop666
Professional Headbanger
Professional Headbanger
serbocop666

PostSubject: Re: Battle Metal (2004) - Turisas   Battle Metal (2004) - Turisas EmptyOctober 2nd 2010, 04:32

this band is awesome and the song "battle metal" is just fucking unbelievable--i love it.

They came down to Australia at the beinging of the year for "Metal Month" but it was at some gay venue where they did not allow under 18's...faggots....Reasons were that alcohol was sold at an open bar..WTF!!!...i went to see AC/DC at the start of this year and they had an open bar too...i dont understand...some people are just gay...
Back to top Go down
Masuramea
Viking
Viking

PostSubject: Re: Battle Metal (2004) - Turisas   Battle Metal (2004) - Turisas EmptyOctober 2nd 2010, 21:18

Very nice review!

Battle metal really is nice to listen too!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battle Metal (2004) - Turisas   Battle Metal (2004) - Turisas Empty

Back to top Go down

Battle Metal (2004) - Turisas
Page 1 of 1